16/10/2011.
Bought a tin of BG44K and added it to a tank of fuel.
This stuff gets fantastic write-ups everywhere and is recognised as the best engine cleaner you can get.
It cleans the entire fuel system from injectors and valves to catalytic converter. Although its not cheep it is widely known to do the job that the cheaper alternatives only claim to do. The result should be to increase both performance and fuel economy as a clean engine burns fuel more efficiently and therefore runs more efficiently.
The manufacturers of BG44K don't claim to raise the bhp of your car (as some others do), but promise to restore your cars lost bhp caused by the gradual gunging up of the engine over the years.
After about 200 miles there was a definite and noticeable improvement to the running of the car. Out and out performance of the engine is always going to be difficult to comment on without serious diagnostic equipment, but where the difference is obvious is the responsiveness of the engine. The performance is certainly sharper and the slightly flat feeling has gone. Well worth the £25 I spent on this product.
31/10/2011.
When I took a look at the air filter I decided that was due for an urgent change. Although it was probably within its service life of *years I feel that an air filter should be changed at least every twelve months. Once it starts to get dirty you loose both engine performance and fuel economy. With the price of fuel constantly going up it is not going to put a hole in your pocket getting the filter changed regularly. I intend to use genuine Volvo parts for all of my repairs and servicing due to the high build standard Volvo insist on.
I managed to get my new Genuine Volvo filter for less than £12 delivered from the Ebay shop of Anglia Volvo. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/angliavolvo
There is a strange foam backing to the S40 Volvo air filter which I was surprised by at first, but apparently it is there to cut down on the induction noise on the turbo models.
No noticeable difference from changing the air filter. I guess if you do notice a difference when changing the air filter you have left it too long between changes.
Running Total
Buy Car: £1750 £1750
Air Filter: £12 £1762
BG 44: £25 £1787


No comments:
Post a Comment